Mobile Food Vending Pilot Program

In order to support local entrepreneurship, innovation, and tastes, the city permits food trucks and carts in various areas. There are even parking spaces downtown available nearly round-the-clock to serve the lunch crowd and those waiting at the city’s late-night ride share hubs. For more information on the Downtown Food Truck Program, see our Mobile Business Guide.

Classifications of food trucks and carts

  • Food Truck: A vehicle (including trailers) operated by a mobile food vendor to prepare and sell food at multiple locations, typically operating at one location for more than 30 minutes.
  • Lunch Truck: A vehicle operated by a mobile food vendor to sell pre-packaged food, such as ice cream and sandwiches, at multiple locations, typically operating at one location for less than 30 minutes.
  • Food Cart: A mobile food vendor that sells pre-packaged food, such as hot dogs or boiled peanuts, from a movable, non-motorized cart.


To operate a food truck, food trailer, lunch cart or food cart outside of the downtown area in Orlando, all of the following credentials are required: 

State of Florida

  • State of Florida business license,
  • Food safety permits
  • Prepared foods: Florida Dept. Business and Professional Regulation, 850.487.1395 or (Hotels and Restaurants).
  • Prepackaged, cottage, or fresh foods: Florida Dept. Agriculture and Consumer Services, or 850.245.5520.

City of Orlando

  • City of Orlando Business Tax Receipt ( Make an appointment with Permitting Services and bring:
  • FL business license
  • Written permission from property owner(s)

Optional, for trucks only, no trailers: Downtown Food Truck Zone Sticker (Follow instructions at Must provide a certificate of liability indemnifying the City of Orlando.

Orange County

Orange County Business Tax Receipt ( Bring proof of City of Orlando Business Tax Receipt.

What if I’m joining an established event, like a food truck roundup, block party, or festival?

A City of Orlando Business Tax Receipt is still required. Bring permission from the event organizer, such as an Orlando Police 18A permit or a letter from the food truck management company, to Permitting Services to obtain your BTR. To host an event that requires blocking off streets, using amplified noise (speakers or microphones), or that will contain 100 or more people, contact the Orlando Police. A neighborhood block party hosted by a group registered with the City is free.

Can I host a food truck at my home for a party?

Generally, no; operating a food truck in residential-only zoning (R districts, e.g., R-1, R-1N, R-2A) is prohibited. However, if your home is in non-residential zoning, and if all other standards are met (such as not blocking sidewalks), it is permitted.