City Benefits

Overview

Keep in mind: Benefits may vary by job type 

The City of Orlando provides a competitive benefits package including:

  • Health and Welfare Benefits
  • Time Off Benefits
  • Supplemental Benefits 
  • Retirement Plan

The City of Orlando maintains a “Cafeteria Plan” under IRS Code §125. You choose between taxable benefits, including cash, and nontaxable health & welfare benefits such as life and health insurance.

Benefits are effective on the 90th day of continuous employment except for dental, which is effective the 1st day of the month following your 90th day of continuous employment. Once elections are made, they can only be changed in conjunction with one of the following events:

  • Annual Benefit Open Enrollment (October/November)
  • Qualified Life Event (Family Status Change) within 31 days of qualifying life event date

Pay, Schedule and Leave 

Pay Schedule

  • Employees are paid on a bi-weekly basis
  • Normal work week is forty (40) hours
  • Time off benefits may vary based on Collective Bargaining Agreement and waiting periods.

Paid Holidays

  • Nine holidays (including 3 “floaters”)

Personal Leave

  • Earned weekly, according to years of service:
    • 0 – 4 years = 136 hours per year
    • 4 – 9 years = 152 hours per year
    • 9 – 15 years = 176 hours per year
    • 15 – 24 years = 196 hours per year
    • 24+ years = 216 hours per year
  • Current accrued balance available after 90 days.

Paid Holidays

  • 9 paid holidays per year

"Floater" Holidays

  • 3 paid days per year

Other Types of Leave

  • Bereavement leave for death in immediate family
  • Military leave for reserve units active duty in Armed Forces
  • Judicial leave for jury duty
  • Family & Medical leave

AD&D and Life Insurance

Standard Insurance Company

Available Options

  • $10,000 basic benefit
  • 1 X Salary*
  • 2 X Salary
  • 3 X Salary
  • 4 X Salary (max $500,000)

Premiums

  • City provides 100% funding for specific level * *Specific level varies by position
  • Premiums based on annual rate and salary
  • Calculated individually based on these factors

Short-Term Disability Insurance (STD)

Standard Insurance Company

Available Option

60% Weekly Salary Post - Tax

Post-Tax Premiums

  • 100% Employee Funded
  • Premiums based on annual rate, age and salary
  • Calculated individually based on these factors

Long-Term Disability Insurance (LTD)
(Non-Civil Service Employees Only)

Standard Insurance Company

Available Options

  • 40% of Salary (pre or post-tax option)
  • 50% of Salary (pre or post-tax option) *
  • 60% of Salary (pre or post-tax option)
  • 66 2/3% of Salary (pre or post-tax option)

Premiums

  • City provides 100% funding for specific level *
  • Premiums based on annual rate, age & salary
  • Calculated individually based on these factors

Dental Insurance

Delta Dental Insurance Company

Available Options

  • DeltaCare COMPREHENSIVE DHMO Plan – D70
  • Delta Dental PPO Plan

Premiums

  • 100% Employee Funded
  • Premiums annualized and deducted bi-weekly
  COMPREHENSIVE   PPO
Tier  Monthly Cost  Monthly Cost 
Employee Only  $10.30  $35.57 
Employee + 1  $20.39 $61.12 
Employee & Family  $36.27  $87.37 

Medical Insurance

United Healthcare

Available Options

  • Choice HMO (Copayments)
  • Choice Plus POS (Coinsurance)

Premiums

Employee Only Level - City funds 95% of total premium for Choice HMO plan & Employee pays remaining 5% of total premium. POS funding is based on the HMO plan level.

Dependent Levels - City funds 73% of total premium & Employee pays remaining 27% of total premium. POS funding is based on the HMO plan levels.

Employee Only Level

Plan Section at Employee Only Level Total Monthly Premium  Monthly Cost Paid by City
95% 
Monthly Cost Paid by Employee
5% 
Choice HMO  $735.49  $698.72  $36.77 
Choice Plus POS  $808.29  $698.72*  $109.57

Employee and Child(ren) Level

Plan Section at Employee and Child(ren) Level Total Monthly Premium  Monthly Cost Paid by City
73% 
Monthly Cost Paid by Employee
27% 
Choice HMO  $1,316.52 $961.06  $355.46 
Choice Plus POS  $1,664.27 $961.06*  $703.21 

Employee and Spouse Level

Plan Section at Employee and Spouse Level Total Monthly Premium  Monthly Cost Paid by City
73% 
Monthly Cost Paid by Employee
27% 
Choice HMO  $1,390.07  $1,014.75  $375.32 
Choice Plus POS  $1,665.73  $1,014.75*  $650.98

Employee and Family Level

Plan Section at Employee and Family Level Total Monthly Premium  Monthly Cost Paid by City
73% 
Monthly Cost Paid by Employee
27% 
Choice HMO  $2,500.65  $1,825.47  $675.18
Choice Plus POS  $2,880.53  $1,825.47*  $1,055.06 

*Funding based on HMO level.

Vision Insurance 

Avesis

Vision insurance provides coverage for services such as eye examination, frame, lenses and contact lenses.

Frequency

  • Eye examination once every calendar year
  • Lenses or contact lenses once every calendar year
  • Frame once every other calendar year

Premium (Bi-Weekly)

Tier  Monthly Cost 
Employee Only  $6.54
Employee + Spouse   $11.84 
Employee + Children  $12.29 
Employee + Family  $18.94 

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

Chard Snyder

Available Options

Health Care Account

  • Maximum Annual Contribution $2700
  • Debit Card Available for Eligible Expenses

Dependent Care Account

  • Maximum Annual Contribution $5000

Retirement and Savings Plans

401A Defined Contribution Retirement Plan

  • Generous vesting schedule (Employee begins vesting in employer’s contributions in 3 years.)
  • City contribution of 7% of employee's pensionable salary, regardless if the employee contributes to the plan
  • City match of 3% of the employee's pensionable salary, if the employee voluntarily contributes 3%
  • Rollover options
  • Ability for the employee to contribute additional 7% post-tax contributions to the plan
  • Variety of investment options and ability to change these options at any time
  • Loan options 

Vesting Schedule

Years of Pensionable Service  Employee Contribution Account  Employer Contribution Account  Rollover Account
Less than 3 years  100%  0%  100% 
100% 25%  100% 
100% 50%  100% 
100%  75%  100% 
100%  100% 100% 

Optional Savings Plans

  • Deferred Compensation plans designed to supplement retirement income
  • Employees eligible to join Orlando Federal Credit Union

Employee and Educational Assistance Programs 

Employee Assistance Program

  • Free short-term professional counseling for employees and members of immediate household
  • All assistance remains confidential

Educational Assistance Program

  • Up to $1800 per fiscal year
  • Tuition, books and required fees are covered

Additional City Benefits

In-House Training Programs

  • Professional development
  • Communication skills
  • Personal development
  • Computer training
  • Customized training

Health & Safety

  • Workstation ergonomic assessments
  • Health & safety training
  • OSHA certification courses
  • CPR & AED training

Restaurant/Galleries

  • 4 Rivers Smokehouse (first floor, City Hall), breakfast & lunch served daily
  • Nature’s Table (second floor, CNL Tower 1), breakfast & lunch served daily
  • Terrace Gallery (first floor, City Hall), art exhibits yearly

Blood Bank

  • Employees and dependents entitled to draw from City’s account at Central Florida Blood Bank at no cost
  • is maintained through employee contributions

Parking Privileges

  • Free covered parking at City Hall locations

Wellness Program

  • Free health screenings
  • Free individual wellness consultations
  • Free wellness and exercise classes
  • Workout, weight training and locker room facilities (provided at no cost)
  • Free or discounted wellness and disease management programs
  • Wellness incentives

Awards Programs

  • Longevity Award
  • Service Award Programs