First implemented in Sweden in the 1990s, Vision Zero consists of a growing network of cities which share a commitment to increase transportation safety, prioritizing equity and community engagement. Nationwide, the collaborative campaign addresses the crisis of 40,000 traffic deaths and millions of injuries a year.
In 2017, Mayor Buddy Dyer signed a resolution to adopt a Vision Zero Action Plan. We engaged community members and experts to understand the factors contributing to traffic violence in our city. The Vision Zero Orlando Action Plan outlines strategies to reduce crashes. It also describes ways to share the progress of the program’s goals with the community.
Our goals are:
- Adopt a safe systems approach in roadway design, operations, and maintenance;
- Increase everyone's understanding of the leading causes of crashes resulting in fatalities or serious injuries;
- Support law enforcement efforts to eliminate behaviors leading to serious injury and fatal crashes;
- Demonstrate continuous progress toward Vision Zero;
- Improve access and travel time to Level 1 Trauma Center and other hospitals; and
- Prioritize investments and programs in communities including underserved populations and higher numbers of vulnerable road users.
Download the Vision Zero Action Plan(PDF, 40MB)