These markers primarily are to recognize and commemorate the lives lost on the roadways in Orlando. Secondly, these markers are to serve as public awareness of roadway safety and the need for all (drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists) to engage in safe behavior while sharing the roads.
What will the markers look like?
- Round 15 inch in diameter aluminum sign
- White background and blue letters
- Mounted to a steel u-channel post
- All markers will say "Drive Safely, In Memory of [Name of Decedent]"
Where will the markers be installed?
- Markers will be installed only on city-maintained roads
- Markers can only be located in the public right of way
- Every effort will be made to place the marker as close as possible to the location where the loss of life occurred.
Who can request a marker?
- Immediate family members
- Friends who have authorization from the decedent's immediate family
Who pays for and maintains the markers?
- The city pays for the installation and all maintenance costs
- The markers are allowed to remain in the right of way for five years - the city reserves the right to have them removed due to construction or other maintenance needs
- Memorial markers are not allowed within the limits of active construction projects