This document is intended to be a guide and may not contain all requirements needed to obtain permits and approval from the City of Orlando.
Pool Steel & Ground – Location of pool shell
- Verify reinforcement bar size, lap and spacing per construction plans
- Clearance from soil
- Soil is clean of debris and roots
- Main drains are installed
- Bonding of pool lights
- Bonding of pool steel
- Angle of repose from structure trees and property line
Pool Deck/Piping Pressure
- That the termite treatment has been installed within one foot of the existing building where the pool deck will be installed
- Any expansion joints
- Footers for retaining walls, screen rooms or additions shown on the construction plans that are ready to be poured
- Bonding of the pool steel within three feet of the pool wall is installed
- Pipe pressure gauge is at 35 psi on pool piping
- Exterior access to any swimming pool must be through a self-closing and self-latching gate with latches placed at least four feet above the underlying ground and operable from the interior of the swimming pool area only. All gates opening through such enclosure shall be kept securely closed and latched at all times.
- Pool deck installed
- Landscaping installed
- Pool pump installed
- Child barrier installed
The following are examples of recommended inspection procedures of a typical residential pool.
- Accessories Permits required such as fences, screen enclosures, gas piping and solar would be separate permits as noted in Orlando City codes 5B (11) Pools, spas & fence requirements Sec. 58.959 & 58.963
- A separate permit for pool screen enclosures with an attached electrical permit for bonding will be required the same as pool permits.
1. ELECTRICAL Call in code #112 (Pool Steel Bonding)
This inspection verifies:
- Bonding of the steel reinforcement for the pool shell. (equipotential bonding) Min. 8 AWG solid
- Bonding of the pool light fixture
- Verify overhead conductor clearance (utility, cable and phone lines)
2. BUILDING Call in code #340 *(Pool Steel/Pipe Pressure)
- Verify electrical inspection has been approved
- Verify location of pool on site
- Verify installation of structural steel reinforcement is in compliance with the city-approved plans and meets the minimum requirements of the Florida Building Code 2017 Sixth edition
- Verify main drain installation
- Verify pipe pressure to a minimum of 35 psi
- Verify that temporary fence is in place for safeguards during construction
3. ELECTRICAL Call in code #355 (Underground)
- Verify burial depths, # of bends, conduit
4. ELECTRICAL Call in #341 (Pool Deck/Grounding)
- Verify equipotentical bonding is installed, (pouring concrete or pavers) for pool deck
5. BUILDING Call in #342 (Pool Deck/Pipe Pressure)
You can schedule one or two inspections to verify.
- Pool piping/ pressure test (min. 35 psi)
- Soil compaction.
- Termite treatment.
6. BUILDING Call in #100 (Footer) as needed
- Soil Compaction.
- Location on site.
- Plans for future structure.
7. ELECTRICAL Call in #600 Final Inspections
Approved Electrical inspections as well as the pool safety check are required PRIOR to Pool fill with water. (Florida Residential Building Code, 2017 sixth edition. Ch.45) (A second electrical final may be required for bonding of screen enclosures per FBCR 2017 sixth edition Ch. 42 structures.)
- Verify Pool pump wiring
- Grounding of equipment and structures
- Verify GFCI protection of pool light and receptacles
- Verify locations of equipment per approved plans
- An additional Final inspection may be required. If a required for pool screen or other structures that are required by NEC 2014 edition to be bonded.
8. BUILDING Call in #343 Pool Safety Check
- Verify pool drain cover (Covers shall be located at pool equipment for inspection)
- Verify pool barrier requirements are installed and code compliant
- Florida Statues 515 Regarding the “Residential swimming pool safety act” as well as City of Orlando Codes regarding exterior fences and gates
9. ELECTRICAL Call in #600 Final Inspections
10. BUILDING Call in #600 Final Inspection
- Pool/Spa covers
- Main drain is installed
- Total Dynamic Head pressure (TDH) for pool pump must match approved plans